Monday, November 24, 2008

Picks 11/24/08

I have put Saturday behind me and I am now ready to move on after a day off. Here are the 2 plays I so far have:

La Salle / Valparaiso (Neutral Site) Line: Over / Under 141

This will be both teams 3rd game in 4 days. The most points that have been scored in a Valpo game is 139 this season. La Salle games have gone over the 141 total 2 out of 4 games but one of those games went to over time (total was 130 at the end of regulation) and the other was their game against UCONN in which the Huskies shot 40 free throws and both teams shot better from 50% from the field. Neither of these teams look to run and throwing in the possibility that some players may have lost their legs should keep this game in the 60's. I was hoping for the line to be 135 so I was happy to see 141.

The Pick: Take the Under 141

Saint Josephs / Texas (Maui Invitational) Line: Texas -9

I could write a novel on this game. Saint Joe's only consistent scoring option is their Center Ahmed Nivens following the departure of Pat Calathes and Robert Ferguson. Saint Joe's is very thin (and inexperienced outside of Nivens) in the front court. Their defense is predicated on switching and too many of the players seeing minutes are in-experienced. Rebounding is also I major question with this squad. Texas has the size to contain Nivens and will force someone else to step up and score but no one has shown the consistent ability to do this. Also if Texas presses (which I would expect them to do), Saint Joe's will struggle to get the ball up the court and get into their offensive sets. I was expecting a line of -13 in this spot.

The Pick: Lay the points; Texas -9

No comments: